Monday, December 17, 2007

James Patterson books

The weather was definitely frightful this past week. The ice storm kept us home from school for 3 days and then 8 inches of snow kept me in the house for most of the weekend. It was a perfect time to catch up on some reading. In fact, the first day I didn't have electricity so there wasn't much else to do. Thankfully I had a gas fireplace to keep me warm and a kerosene lantern to read by. I curled up by the fire and read most of the day until the power came back on. I was one of the lucky ones who was only out of power for a day. I know that several places in town were out until Sunday--that made it almost an entire week without electricity. I would not have made a very good pioneer because I was pretty whiny after only a couple of hours without my modern conveniences.

I used this opportunity to catch up on the James Patterson books. I really enjoy his books. They are filled with suspense and keep me on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. I just finished Double Cross the latest book in Patterson's series about Alex Cross. Alex is a psychiatrist who works with the Washington D.C. police department and the FBI. He profiles serial killers. Double Cross is about a serial killer who they call the DC Audience Killer because he likes to kill in front of a audience. The first murder involved throwing a popular mystery writer off a balcony into a crowd of people. From there his murder become even more gruesome and more public. To make things worse, Kyle Craig who Alex Cross had put in prison in a previous book has escaped from prison and is seeking his revenge against Alex Cross and anyone else who had something to do in his capture. Each chapter has a new twist and turn.

Patterson isn't for everyone, but I really like his short chapters--usually only a couple of pages long. The books read quickly and like I said are filled with action and suspense. However, they also tend to be pretty graphic in their violence.

No comments: