Monday, February 4, 2008

Right Behind You

Go Giants! I was glad to see them win the Super Bowl! I think that I am always rooting for the underdog! However, I am tired of the Patriots and want to see someone else win. Plus I really like the idea of Peyton winning last year and Eli winning this year. What a great story!

I watch a lot of the pre-game stuff. I can't believe that Paula Abdul has a new single out! She was popular when I was in high school, but hasn't done much except reality TV since. The song sounded too computerized--I wasn't sure that she was even singing! I wasn't too impressed with the commercials this year. I did like the one with the dog training the clydesdale. That was cute. Otherwise, none of the others really stuck out except maybe the baby investing online, but that was a little creepy! Oh well, I enjoyed the game.

I just finished reading Right Behind You by Gail Giles. The book reminded me a lot of Looking for J.J. which I read a couple of weeks ago. I am surprised to find two books about children killing children published so close together. I really like Right Behind You, maybe even more than I liked Looking for J.J. Looking for J.J. was more of a mystery to find out what happened. Right Behind You tells what happened from the beginning so there is no mystery involved there. But it is a great story of redemption and forgiveness.

At the beginning of the book, Kip is 9 years old when he douses a 7-year-old neighbor with gasoline and sets him on fire in a jealous rage. He is put in a psychiatric hospital for juvenile offenders where he spends the next 5 years of his life, trying to deal with what he has done. At the age of 14, he is released from the facility and encouraged to change his name and start a new life. So Kip becomes Wade and he moves to a small Indiana town to begin again. Things are good at his new school where he makes new friends, finds a girlfriend and joins the swim team, but Wade is filled with guilt and shame and struggles with keeping his past hidden—after all does he really deserve to be happy?

No comments: