Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox

Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox is one of those books that I just couldn't put down. It was odd and different from anything I have read before and yet I had to find out what was going to happen. It is really an amazing book--weird and wonderful.

I first picked up Dreamhunter when the sequel Dreamquake was selected as a Prinz honor book last spring. I wanted to read it but decided that I need to read the first book in the series. It took me several months, but I finally got to the bottom of my "To Be Read" pile and there it was. And I am glad that I finally read it!

Dreamhunter is set in a world where only certain people can enter a mystical location known only as the "The Place." Only certain gifted people can entire "The Place"; others walk right over it. But the gifted people known as dreamhunters are transported to a place where they catch dreams that they later share with the others of the community. There are dream palaces where people go to sleep and share in the dreams of the deamhunter. People pay to share these dreams and good dreamhunters can become very wealthy.

Cousins Laura and Rose belong to the first family of dreamhunters. Laura's father discovered "The Place" many years before and Rose's mother is a very famous dreamer. When Laura discovers that she has inherited the gift from her father, she must deal with the fears of entering "The Place" alone. To add to Laura's reservations, her father disappears leaving strange clues for only her to find. Laura must follow these clues to discover what has happened to her father. But more than finding her father, Laura finds the government secrets of how these dreams can be used against the people. Now Laura must decide how much of what she knows to share with her family and her community and how to protect herself from the dangers that follow.

This is a fascinating story of the power of dreams and nightmares. I can't wait to read the next book!

No comments: