Monday, March 17, 2008

Dragon's Keep

It is always hard to get back into the swing of things after Spring Break. And it is raining this morning so that doesn’t help. I went to Natchez, Mississippi for the week. Natchez sits on the Mississippi River and the weather was really nice. I was disappointed when I got back to Kansas and it was cold. I heard that it was nice several days last week. Maybe with the start of spring on Thursday, we will start to get some warm weather.

Natchez is a neat town that time seems to have forgotten. In 1850, there were more millionaires per capita in Natchez than anywhere else in the US. The town was surrounded by huge cotton plantations and the town was filled with huge antebellum mansions. Each spring these mansions are opened for public tours. They are fabulous. I am a Great Plains girl—born in Oklahoma and raised in Kansas. My ancestors came to the plains in covered wagons, so they didn’t bring much with them. However, the people who settled in Natchez had furniture shipped from Europe. And it is still sitting in these antebellum homes where the people still use some of it today. It is incredible—a real eye opening experience. I felt like I had walked back into the time of Gone with the Wind!

I thought that I would get some reading done over the break, but with traveling and touring, I didn’t get much read. I did finish Dragon’s Keep by Janet Lee Carey. The great magician Merlin prophesied that the 21st queen of Wilde Island would “redeem the name of Pendragon, end war with the wave of her hand, and restore the glory of Wilde Island.” Rosalind is born to be the 21st queen of Wilde Island. Her parents have high hopes for what she will accomplish. However, Rosalind is born with a dragon claw in place of the ring finger on her left hand. Most of her life is spent trying to hide this deformity and find a cure, so that she can marry. When she is 17, Rosalind’s father goes to war to help England and hopefully make a match with the King’s son. But Rosalind is captured by a dragon and her life is changed forever. How will she fulfill Merlin's prophesy?

As I have said before, I am not crazy about fantasy books, but this is a good book. I enjoyed reading the adventures with the dragons and Rosalind’s search to be free from the dragon’s curse.

No comments: