Wednesday, January 23, 2008

All-In

I have a friend who has a weekly Texas Hold'em Poker game. The 10 dollar buy in gets you a certain amount of chips and once you lose them you are done. I have never done very well. Always being one of the first to lose my chips, I usually spend the rest of the night talking with the other "losers" in the kitchen! I am a terrible liar, so everyone knows when I am bluffing. That makes for a lousy poker player.

The book All-In by Pete Hautman is about a teenager who is a fantastic poker player. In fact, he makes so much money playing poker that he leaves his home town to move to Las Vegas and play full-time. The descriptions of the tournaments are exciting. I never thought that reading about the action in a card game could be thrilling, but Hautman has a gift. Denn Doyle is 17 years old and he has won and lost a fortune playing poker. He gets on some one's bad side and they set him up to lose everything. Now Denn's only chance is a winner- take-all tournament; however, he has to come up with the $10,000 entry fee.

No comments: