Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Looking for J.J.

I like to watch sports of TV. I watched the KU basketball game last night. It was not a very good game, so I didn't have to pay close attention which was good because I was reading a really good book.

Looking for J.J. by Anne Cassidy is a good mystery novel. Six years ago 10 year old Jennifer Jones killed her best friend. She has now been released from prison and is trying to make a new life for herself. However, the tabloids will not leave Jennifer Jones alone. They want interviews and want to know why one child would kill another and want to see what kind of monster she is. J.J. has become Alice as she tries to put her past behind her. However, Alice is haunted by what happened when she was 10 years old and so is the reader. The story of the murder is told in flashbacks as the reader discovers what happened with J.J. and her friend and her family. If you like books that keep you guessing, this is a good one. And I really liked the ending because it seemed real. I don't like books that have those canned endings that tie everything up nicely and put it in a neat little box. Life is messy and I like books that reflect that. Looking for J.J. does that.




No comments: