Monday, January 28, 2008

Hail Caesar

When I was in high school, I loved the book, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I read it and her other books several times. The thing that I really liked about The Outsiders is that it was written by a 15-year-old. That book is still really popular today and I think part of the popularity is that it is written by a teenager. A couple of years ago when Eragon came out, I loved that it was written by 17-year-old Christopher Paolini. Books written by teens are always popular with other teens. So I was excited when I picked up Hail Caesar by Thu-Huong Ha. Ha was 15-years-old when she wrote this book.

Senior John Miller has it all. In fact, he is the king, the emperor which is why they call him Caesar. His friends and even his teachers call him Caesar. He rules the school. He can do whatever he wants and have whatever girl he wants. That is until a new girl comes to town and Eva is not impressed by him or his reputation. She forces Caesar to confront the type of person that he is and figure out what type of person he would like to become. Ha holds nothing back in her description of the parties and the meaningless sex and the language she uses when she writes.

No comments: