Monday, January 14, 2008

If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?

I finally had some time this weekend to work in my yard. I have had snow in my yard since the ice storm before Christmas. With a couple of nice days last week, most of the snow has melted, so I was able to get out there and do some raking. I had two great big cypress trees in my backyard and they are really messy. I needed to rake up all the junk they lost plus the broken limbs from the ice storm. I moved the big limbs out into the front yard so they could be picked up. The city says that it is working on picking them up, but it might be March before they get to my neighborhood, and I just am not patient enough to wait that long. So I found someone with a truck who would pick them up for me. It will be nice to have that done. I also packed all the leaves and stuff in garbage bags and set them out by the curb to be picked up with the trash today. I felt pretty good about my yard when I finished, so I didn't feel bad about spending several hours reading a book.

The book I read was If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor. This book is nothing new, but if you like romantic fiction it is a good read. Lucy's father has remarried and moved her from California to New York, so she can live with her new stepmother and her two new stepsisters. Her father has some business to finish in California so Lucy is there alone. She feels invisible at her new school until she has a conversation about basketball with the "cutest guy in school." And suddenly Lucy's life is looking up. She sees that maybe she can have a prince since she has a wicked stepmother and two wicked stepsisters. However, Lucy starts to see that maybe the prince isn't so perfect after all. This book is witty, light and very entertaining and Lucy is a strong female character.

No comments: